Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Mangia mangia!!

Entering a country where amazing food is found at every corner you turn, it is reasonable to ultimately wish to bring some of this deliciousness home after the semester to share with my loved ones. So I enrolled in a 6 week cooking course that meets once a week for about 3-4 hours. The instructor is a woman born in the US but who came here years ago to study abroad just like me, and ended up meeting an Italian man and moving to Florence to live and raise their kids. Her story is a very interesting one, but to say the least, she inherited a rich talent for cooking Italian food from her various encounters in this city and from her Italian mother-in-law. She has put together a 50 page cookbook for all of her students and we meet once a week at her quaint Florentine home to prepare a number of courses with her and to learn the ins and outs of Italian cuisine. Tonight is my second lesson from this woman and I am looking forward to it, as the first one was unbelievable. The menu for last week's lesson consisted of:
-Facaccia with olives
-Thick soup with chickpeas
-Turkey Fricassee
-Stewed green beans
and blackberry torte.
Each of these dishes or desserts was as delicious as the next. While I was learning a lot and trying hard to concentrate on Mrs. F's methods, I found myself salivating over the ingredients and the process in front of me. Thankfully, we get to sit down at the end of all the preparation and cooking and enjoy the meal together. Tonight's meal involves cooking rabbit, something that may be seen as disgusting in the US but I'm going to embrace the culture and try these new things that come my way, if only just once.

Hope I haven't left all of your mouths watering but there will sure be more to come! For now, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment