Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Three Generations of Mothers & Daughters in Italy

Venezia canal
Last week, the two women I respect most in my life and who deserve the longest break from their real lives out of anyone else I know came to Italy to visit their daughter and granddaughter. Now it might seem like a no-brainer that a mother and grandmother would jump at the chance to leave all else behind and spend a week in Italy, given the opportunity. However, with these two and their lives devoted to constantly helping others and putting everyone else before themselves, this was no simple task. Thus, the trip was even more special because my mom and mom-mom finally got a week long break, something neither of them has had in years, to come see me in the most beautiful country in the world.

St. Mark's Cathedral
Mom and mom-mom landed in Florence on October 30. Once they arrived, I helped them get situated in their hotel, showed them my apartment, and then we stopped for coffee (due caffe latte e un caffe americano - the same order all week) and biscotti, to try to fight the onset of jetlag, and then we were off to English mass at the Duomo. Afterwards, we, with Jessica, went to dinner at Trattoria ZaZa - which houses a mellow atmosphere inside. Jessica and I discovered our Italian menu-reading is somewhat pathetic, but it all worked out in the end. Afterwards, mom and mom-mom enjoyed their first helping of Florence gelati for the week.

our gondola
Sunday-Monday (Venice): it was time to wake up early for Venice! And in usual fashion, one of us had to be running late for the train - so literally, we ended up running to catch our train and then we were off to Venice. Upon arrival, it was raining there, which of course took away some of Venice's natural beauty, but nonetheless the picture was clear - and it is a beautiful city on the water. We settled into our hotel and then began our exploration - we walked through all the winding alleys behind the water, stopping in about half of the many shops along the way. Needless to say, my mom took care of a handful of her Christmas shopping while in Italy. The highlight of Venice was St. Mark's Cathedral - it was one of the most beautiful churches I have seen in Europe - and I have seen a lot. The architecture on the outside alone was strikingly unique and beautiful. You could get lost looking up at it. It was more colorful than most of the churches I am used to seeing by now. Then the inside was even more rich in appearance. The ceilings, the altar, everything was so detailed. It was worth going inside for sure. After continuing our shopping and looking around, we had dinner at a restaurant on one of the side streets. The following day we did more exploring, in the on-and-off rain, and to please me, the three of us took a ride in a gondola! I loved it because it was a chance to relax, in the water, and see beautiful architecture during the calming boat ride. We enjoyed some good chocolate and snacks and I got pumpkin pie for lunch. Before we left Venice, I went into the Stanley Kubric photo exhibit near our hotel - the advertisements had been staring me down the entire time there and knowing his films, I knew I had to go in. I was so impressed with this exhibit; it was awesome. He's a very original artist who captures pivotal scenes, whether it be through video or still shots. I was really glad I got to see that.

Pitti Palace
Mom and I in the Boboli Gardens
Tuesday: After my first class, I was free until 3, so I took mom and mom-mom to the Ponte Vecchio and then over it to the Pitti Palace, where we got the museum passes for the gardens and the porcelain museum and costume museum. The gardens we managed to see (it would have taken all day to see all of it) were beautiful. My mom and I walked up and saw a great view of the Duomo side of Florence. Then we walked up higher and saw one of the most beautiful views of Tuscany. I was really grateful my mom got to see that view - Tuscany is like a painting, it's so beautiful it doesn't seem real, so I'm glad I got to share that with her. Then we went through the Porcelain museum, which housed many beautiful patterns and some interesting ones. Then the three of us went through the costume museum, which exhibited an interesting array of fashion from about 1800s to now, throughout Italy. After my drawing class at 6, the three of us went to dinner down the street from my apartment at L'Osteria di Giovanni - a place I had never been to before but the menu looked to die for - and it was! Mom-mom and I, often having similar taste in food, both got the ravioli with pear, pecorino, and leek sauce, as well as an appetizer that we all shared. The service was extremely friendly here, giving us biscotti at the end of our meal, and calling a cab for us so that we could make it to the opera. That's right, we went to an Italian opera afterwards - which was... an interesting and definitely new experience. We didn't really know what to expect, and yes, we should have researched the plot of Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro" beforehand, but regardless, it was a lovely evening. The opera did go on for nearly four hours, something none of us had expected. But considering the lack of understanding of the plot and the language, the orchestra was amazing and the voices of the cast were terrific, regardless.

Wednesday: After my first class, I met up with mom and mom-mom as well as Jessica and we all walked to the Galleria dell'Accademia to see the David! (my third time so far). Much to my surprise, there was no line at all, and we went right in. We stayed for a while walking around the enormous statue, and then observing some other pieces in the museum, including Michelangelo's unfinished sculptures lined up before the David. I explained the significance of these statues to them. I was glad they saw the David, as it would be almost sacrilegious to leave Florence without doing so. Then we went to the leather market and did some browsing and of course shopping. Over the next few days, more Christmas shopping was accomplished and I walked away with a leather bag that I will always have as a memory from the time my mother and grandmother were with me in Florence. That night, we took my friends, Jessica, Kim, Talya, and Erica, out to dinner at one of my favorite spots in Florence, Osteria de Benci. I got the drunken pasta, which I absolutely love, and mom-mom and I split their famous strawberry risotto. My mom got an interesting egg and tomato dish. The conversation at the table was constantly flowing and I was glad they got to meet the friends that I have made while here. I know that my friends liked them as well, and I'm very grateful for their presence in my life here abroad. That night, Kim and I went to go see Alan and Matt play at Eskimo for a little while.


Thursday: Mom and mom-mom's last day in Florence :( Well, our day started early, when they met me at  my apartment at 9:15 am and we headed to the central market - I for my class trip for Italian, and they just to browse around again. My class went in the food market and had to speak Italian to the vendors. That market is one of my favorite spots in Florence. It truly embodies the Florentine culture with all the food and the meat, wine, and cheese. Later on, we strolled through the market one last time, picking up last minute gifts. Then we strolled through Piazza Repubblica and Piazza Vechio and got lunch at a nearby bar. My mom and I both got vegetable soup - her ordering it all the time made it grow on me. Even when I get it now, I'll think of my momma. That night, we had a great meal at La Spada - the restaurant next to my apartment. It was delicious and the service was very friendly - it's so nice to not be rushed out of a restaurant. We talked for a while after dinner. It was a perfect ending the a great week. I'm so fortunate to be able to say I got to show my mother and grandmother Florence and that we traveled a bit together. This will forever be one of the best memories I will always hold.

It's amazing how naturally things fall back to normal in almost the same instant you see your loved ones after not seeing them for months. With my mom and my grandma, this has always been the case. Throughout college, I have kept in touch with the two of them on a constant basis and then when I see them again, it is always like we were never apart. Everyone who knows me knows how much I adore my mom-mom and how happy it makes me to spend time with her and share things with her. And to have shared Florence with my mom and mom-mom meant the world to me. It relieved me so much to know that for a week these two saints got to take a break out of their selfless lives and indulge in beauty, culture, and relaxation, otherwise known as the Italian lifestyle. At the end of the week, mom-mom even declared that she should have been born an Italian. I couldn't agree more - I think everyone would benefit from living the Italian life once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment