Monday, October 4, 2010

In Honor of Mr. Ryder

It is easy to forget just how scary the distance is between Italy and home when you’re surrounded by beauty and culture and adventure. However, when news of the loss of a loved one reaches you oceans away, the distance manifests and becomes palpable. It is in these times that you feel most disconnected, most helpless, yearning for a way to be there for those you love suffering in an unreachable continent. In light of this loss, all that I can do so many miles away is just honor this man's life and his soul and think of how he would want us to be living our days. In that respect, I have already begun living each day a little fuller than before, counting my remaining blessings, and assuring that the people I love know just how much they are loved. The passing of Mr. Ryder, a valued and adored family friend, has taught me to appreciate things a bit more and to accept that life is short and we must live it. I can’t think of a better place to be living after such a loss than here in Italy, where I appreciate each breath I take. So in honor of Mr. Ryder and his natural love for life, I am reminding myself each day not to take life for granted. My heart goes out to everyone home whom I owe a million hugs to and who are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment